Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Let them resolve themself - how to let developers to kill their own mess

This post was formerly published at my beloved old blog "On the quest of a DBA's adventure......"

From time to time (well, usually when you are bloody damn busy...),a developer will approach over slowly with a bright red face. You know instinctly that it is one of those moment - "Ah...Hey, how are you going? well can you help me to kill my little query-gone-wild in Dev, please?". I haven't heard these developers talking nice to me in usual. So, the golden rule of thumb is, the nicer they are, the dumber stupid query they just hit with F5.....

Anyway, I am a really busy fellow and it is really fine to let them kill themselves instead of me helping everyone of them to put a bullet to their..... process :-). Here is what you do to help them. One can kill a session and all one requires is the ALTER ANY CONNECTION permission. Remind you that make sure your manager is OK with that kill permission in dev \ testing.

Noted that ALTER ANY CONNECTION is included with membership in the sysadmin or processadmin fixed server roles.

Now, go and kill it yourself at that corner and don't come to bother me.......

No comments:

Post a Comment